Marriage will teach you a lot. That’s what happens when you put two different people together for life. You learn about each other, and even more, you learn about yourself, whether you want to or not. It makes you both grow, and that’s awesome.
I’ve been thinking about some of those revelations, some of them serious and some not so much, and thought I’d share them with you. So here’s 10 things I’ve learned from being married:
1) My days of eating chicken and asparagus every meal are over. I was a creature of habit as a single man, but the wife actually prefers variation in her diet and food with flavor.
2) I’m not always right. Not only am I not always right, but I find now that I’m married I’m usually wrong. Other husbands have told me this is normal.
3) My movie watching has increased dramatically. I’ve always loved watching movies but now that I have someone to snuggle up with on the couch, I’m watching movies every night.
4) Life is better when you can share it with someone else. This may seem cliche but it’s true. Sharing life with Catherine has made my life seem fuller.
5) Bravo will be played in my house and I have to deal with it. Now that I’m married I’ve become accustomed to watching The Real Housewives and Project Runway. I’ll gladly accept this because Catherine watches plenty of football with me.
6) I’m trying to be more empathetic. This one has been tough and admittedly I’m still working on it. Sharing life with someone requires you to share their feelings as well. As a “dude”, this doesn’t always come easy for me but I’m trying to get better at it.
7) Compromise is key. This one seems pretty obvious but compromising isn’t always easy when you’ve been single your whole life. Sometimes we have to compromise on some really serious decisions- like Pizza Hut or Dominos.
8) There will always be hair in the shower drain. I figured this one out pretty quickly.
9) I now have someone to bounce my tweets and Instagram captions off of. This is a great added bonus of being married to someone who is funny. If I can make Catherine laugh with a proposed tweet, I know it’s a good one.
10) Waking up next to my best friend every day is the best! Seriously, there’s no better feeling.